Spain observes and celebrates a sizeable number of holidays throughout the year. Most of these, however, are regional holidays, celebrated only by select few provinces or even cities. Here are the national public holidays in Spain 2020, as well as major regional celebrations. Read on to find out what they mean.
- 1 January 2020 | Wednesday | New Year’s Day | Año Nuevo
New Year’s Day is a public holiday right across Spain.
- 6 January 2020 | Monday | Epiphany | Epifanía del Señor / Reyes
This is a typical event in Spain, known by the locals as ‘Reyes’. It symbolises the adoration to the baby Jesus from the three magic kings.
- 9 April 2020 | Thursday | Good Thursday | Jueves Santo
In almost all Spanish regions, Good Thursday is a holiday and represents the day of the last supper.
- 10 April 2020 | Friday | Good Friday | Viernes Santo
It is a holiday in all of Spain, and marks the day that Jesus Christ was buried.
- 13 April 2020 | Monday | Easter Monday | Lunes de Pascua
Easter Monday is a holiday only in Catalonia, as it replaces Easter Sunday for the Catalan population
- 1 May 2020 | Friday | Labour Day / Workers’ Day | Fiesta del Trabajo
This day is a holiday in all of Spain, it is the International Workers Day or is the commemoration of the world labour movement
- 24 June 2020 | Wednesday | Saint John’s Day | Fiesta de Sant Joan
This day is a holiday in Catalonia, which coincides with the summer solstice. It marks the birth of Saint John the Baptist.
- 15 August 2020 | Saturday | Assumption of the Virgin Mary | Asunción de la Virgen
This national holiday marks the day Mary rose to Heaven, known as her Assumption, also observed in France.
- 11 September 2020 | Friday | National Day of Catalonia | La Diada Nacional de Catalunya
This national day is observed by the autonomous community of Catalonia, known as La Diada.
- 12 October 2020 | Monday | Spain National Day | Fiesta Nacional España
Celebrated everywhere in Spain, this is Spain’s national holiday, commemorating Christopher Columbus’s arrival in the Americas (Cristobal Colon in Spanish).
- 1 November 2020 | Sunday | Allsaints Day | Todos los Santos
Allsaints Day is celebrated all across Spain, as well as in France, and is another Christian holiday.
- 7 December 2020 | Monday | [Monday after] Spanish Constitution Day | Lunes siguiente al Día de la Constitución Española
This day is a holiday across Spain, with the exception of Catalonia, and marks the day that they implemented the Spanish Constitution.
- 8 December 2020 | Tuesday | Immaculate Conception | Inmaculada Concepción
This day is holiday in all Spain because is the day of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary.
- 25 December 2020 | Friday | Christmas Day | Natividad del Señor / Navidad
Christmas Day is a holiday right across Spain, and decorations can be found both in people’s home and in the workplace.
- 26 December 2020 | Friday | Saint Stephen’s Day | Sant Esteve
In Catalonia, this day is known as the second Christmas, and is a public holiday throughout the region.
Each country celebrates its own distinct holidays, which not only affect business but also their culture. These celebrations, in fact, are a colourful demonstration of a nation’s cultural values and customs. Understanding and observing these is one of the key aspects of intercultural communication and awareness.